What are the types of tea and their properties
Tea is a drink that is prepared from dried leaves of tea plant or small trees. Legend has it that the tea was discovered by Emperor Shen Nung, when he was boiling water next to a tree and the tea leaf fell by accident into the pot. This infusion was very comforting so he began to take it steadily.
Tea is consumed by more than half of the world’s population and can be taken as a hot or cold drink. It contains a very low level of calories (2 kcal per cup) and is free of artificial colors or flavors.
The main properties of tea are:
- Prevents infections
- It helps to have a good digestion.
- It helps keep your teeth healthier due to its high fluoride content.
- Helps maintain a younger skin for its antioxidant property.
- Improves the immune system.
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases to a large extent.
- It helps reduce the risk of cancer thanks to its property that contain catechins since they prevent the proliferation of cancer cells.
Currently there are different types of tea and each has different properties that are beneficial to health first we have:
Green tea: Everyone can have health.
Green tea is one of the most popular and conserves more antioxidants because it undergoes a minor process and much more natural than black tea. This tea is considered an authentic “natural medicine”. Currently there are two producers who are responsible for the preparation of this tea who are the Chinese and Japanese; its main difference is that Japanese green tea is steamed to stop its oxidation and thus preserve the taste of the herb while the Chinese green tea is dried in the oven or in the fire.
The main properties of green tea are:
- Powerful antioxidant.
- It is depurative (helps to eliminate liquids) and very digestive. It can help you lose weight.
- It is rich in minerals, sodium, fluoride and vitamins A, B and C. These strengthen the immune system and can help the body to protect itself in case of viruses or infections.
- If you are one of those people who need a stimulating drink to start the day, green tea is for you.
Green tea has a low content of teína, and it must be prepared with water that is not “boiling”, since the leaves are cooked and the tea leaves too bitter.
With the water between 167- 185ºF and between 2 and 3 minutes ( 2 mins for Japanese teas ) at rest we will obtain a very aromatic and comforting infusion. The infusion is soft and delicate, slightly herbal and of yellowish greenish or golden tones.
Black tea: The one everyone knows
Black tea stands out for its flavor and properties. Its preparation allows to pass the fresh leaves of the Camellia Sinensis to an oxidation process where the natural green color of the leaf turns to a dark brown color making the aroma more complex and its flavor more intense. This oxidation favors the release of the theine in the infusion.
Black tea contains tanning agents and minerals, as do vitamins and etheric oils.
The properties of black tea are:
- It has a high percentage of antioxidants.
- It is satisfying (you will eliminate the feeling of hunger).
- Low calorie content
- It stands out for acting in a relaxing way in the stomach.
- According to several studies, it prevents skin cancer.
Classic black tea: 4 to 5 minutes.
Darjeeeling tea: 3 minutes.
Broken leaf tea (Broken): 3 to 4 minutes.
Water temperature: 203 ºF.
White tea: The fountain of youth
White tea is considered to be the most exquisite and refined, since from the whole leaves are collected the youngest buds where all the energy of the plant is concentrated. This plant is one of the most beneficial for health since its taste is considered exquisite and refined.
The properties of white tea are:
- Its exquisite flavor and delicate aroma.
- It has a reputation as “Elixir of youth”, as it has one of the most powerful antioxidants that nature offers us and its results are visible in just a few months.
- They are high in vitamin E and C.
- Regulates blood pressure
- It has anticancer power.
Infusion: 3 to 5 minutes and Silver needles ” Silver needles ” : 5 to 7 minutes
Temperature: 167 ° F.
Uncle Les’s Tea- Organic White Tea, premium organic White Tea in Tea Bags 100ct
Red Tea- Pue Erh: Excellent for burning fats
Red tea has a very characteristic flavor, strong and earthy and its color is a dark reddish color. Its ripening process may come to doubt for several years and it is particularly this fermentation process that gives red tea its appreciated color, taste and exceptional properties. Its main characteristic of tea is the elimination of body fat, three daily cups of this tea will help control the body’s fats and decrease the levels of cholesterol and fat in the blood.
The properties of red tea are:
- It helps to gradually eliminate fat in the body.
- It is diuretic since it helps relieve heavy digestion.
- Avoid possible diseases related to obesity, atherosclerosis, heart attacks, high cholesterol, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Infusion time : 4 minutes
Temperature : 203 ° F
Note: It can be taken all day, especially after meals.
Oolong Tea- Blue Tea: “Black Dragon”
Blue tea is a “half way” between green tea and black tea, its manufacturing process is semi-fermented which results in a softer taste than black tea, but stronger than green tea.
Because of its pleasant taste the blue tea is especially for those who want to start
The properties of blue tea are:
- Great antioxidant power.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- It contains many vitamins and minerals.
- Help reduce blood pressure.
- It helps regulate cholesterol.
- It has the characteristic of burning fat but less than red tea, but to a greater extent green tea.
Infusion time : 5 minutes
Temperature : 194ºF
Note: It can be consumed after meals and afternoons.
Blue Tea, Butterfly Pea Flowers (Clitoria ternatea) by Majestic Herbs | 100% Organic/Pesticide Free | Highest Quality | Carefully Selected Dried Asian Pigeonwings Flowers Blue Tea From Northern Thailand | 50g
Rooibos: the small tree of South Africa
Rooibos tea contains many health benefits, it is a perfect alternative when you want to relax, it has digestive properties and does not contain stimulants.
The properties of Rooibos Tea are:
- Quench thirst
- It has a high content of vitamins and minerals.
- It contains digestive properties.
- It has the property of being a relaxing tea.
5 to 7 minutes. Because of its low tanning content, this beverage retains its sweet flavor even in times of superior infusion.
Note: It can be consumed all day and accompanied with milk.
Now that you know what are the types of tea and the properties of each one I invite you to change your eating habits by providing a cup of tea throughout your day, this will bring great benefits for you and your health.